Just wanted to remind everyone that the $10.00 off sale for Picture Switcher ends tomorrow at 11:59 PM EDT. Grab it before it’s too late!
So, I’m one week into my release of Picture Switcher, and things are going great. Even with the somewhat rocky start, with Picture Switcher crashing for some people, things are going good. I, of course, wish that hadn’t happened for anyone, but even with all the testing in the world you can’t always catch everything.
In case anyone missed it, I released an update over the weekend to fix another potential crash while Picture Switcher is resolving alias files, and a fix for the”Picture Folders” panel showing up disabled when opened. If you haven’t already downloaded it, head over to Picture Switcher’s product page and grab it. If anyone is still having issues with Picture Switcher, please do contact me! I can’t fix bugs if I don’t know they exist.
In more personal news, yesterday (Sunday) was my birthday. I couldn’t have asked for a better present than the success of this release. I want to thank everyone out there - you all rock. I hope y’all had as great a day as I did.
Yesterday, I released Picture Switcher 2.0. I have been working for months on this new version, and it’s a bit strange to me to actually be finished with it. Not that one is ever really “finished” with a software product.
My release even proved that - all my testing and those of my testers had no problems, but when I finally released it out into the wild there were some people for whom Picture Switcher would crash on launch. Just goes to show that all the planning in the world doesn’t always work out the way one wishes it would. I’ve spent the last day tracking down the problem and have just released 2.0.1 to fix the problem.
So, the big news is that I’ve decided to charge for this version. It’s never easy to make a freeware program into shareware. I’m sure I’m already getting a lot of grumbles about it. Some people are probably planning on saving the old (free) version. Hey, that’s fine, if that’s what you want to do. I felt it was time for me to step up my software. I would like to do this as my job. I absolutely love writing code. This is step one toward that goal. Does this mean that I’m suddenly going to make all of my applications shareware? No. At the moment, I don’t have any plans to do so. I do reserve the right to change my mind about it, of course, but rest assured if I do for any of them they will have more features than they currently do.
A month ago, Paul Kim over at Noodlesoft made a post about a proposal for a new way to install. In it, he described how it might be advantageous to display a dialog to the user asking them if they’d like to install the application if it were running from a disk image (or some other unwritable media).
As it so happens, I had already intended to write some code that checked that very thing, to fix a problem with Picture Switcher. I hesitate to call it a bug — it’s more like an unintended side effect. The problem was that in my last version, I decided to add in a dialog asking the user if they would like PS to run when they logged in. All fairly standard. What I hadn’t taken into account (and this would be a bug), was users running PS from the disk image. I should have put in a check for that. The unintended side effect is that, after having said yes to that dialog, every time they logged in the disk image would be mounted and run PS from there. I hadn’t even known the login items would do such a thing. Suffice to say, I’ve gotten some support emails about this issue.
For all of you developers who are using my code (all 3 of you), I’ve updated my DSClickableURLTextField and DSGeneralOutlineView classes, and added a new class, DSGeneralTableView. I’ve also written up some class references for these classes, so things are a little more documented now.
Jens Miltner emailed me some fixes to some subtle bugs with DSClickableURLTextField, and I added some functionality. Here’s the change list for it:
Changes by Jens Miltner:
- Fixed a problem with the text storage and the text field’s attributed string value having different lengths, causing range exceptions.
- Added a delegate method allowing custom handling of URLs.
- Tracks initially clicked URL at -mouseDown: to avoid situations where dragging would end up in a different URL at -mouseUp:, opening that URL. This includes situations where the user clicks on an empty area of the text field, drags the mouse, and ends up on top of a link, which would then erroneously open that link.
- Fixed to allow string links to work as well as URL links.
Changes by me:
- Overrode -initWithCoder:, -initWithFrame:, and -awakeFromNib to explicitly set the text field to non-editable and non-selectable. Now you don’t need to remember to set this up, and the class will work correctly regardless.